Photo Credit: Andrew Day for Butter London, Nicole Miller
Wondering what’s hot for next fall? The editors at Gilt.com headed backstage to get the scoop on the coolest beauty trends from the biggest designers. But no need to scour the web for inspiration, we’ve rounded four of the best looks we know you’ll love! Trust us, you won’t want to wait until fall to test these out.
Perfectly Imperfect Hair
Seen at: Timo Weiland, kate spade and Banana Republic
Photo credit: image courtesy of Fekkai, kate spade
The choice word to describe a few hairstyles was “beanie hair.” Think of an imperfect halo of strands that looks cool without looking too disheveled. “The kate spade girl looks like she’s just come home from a long winter walk in the woods,” shares Bob Recine for Fekkai. “Her hair looks effortless, easy and a bit disturbed.” We love the realness tied into this style because brushing at your desk or at brunch is so passé.
Read More >>
Tagged Backstage Beauty, Banana Republic, Christian Siriano, Jenny Packham, Kaelen, kate spade, marchesa, Monique Lhuiller, nanette lepore, Nicole Miller, NYFW Fall/Winter 15, NYFWxGilt, Public School, timo weiland, Tracy Reese, Vivienne Tam, Zimmerman
It’s no secret that cold weather wreaks havoc on your skin…and hair and nails and pretty much everything else. One antidote to the problem: Boost your routine with an arsenal of quality products—courtesy of today’s Skincare Solutions sale, on Gilt now. But that’s not all you can do. As our team of editors and buyers can attest, for every raw nose, dry cuticle, and cracked lip, there’s a homespun fix that does the trick.
“Coconut oil – not only do I smell like a tropical retreat every night, my hair, face, hands, and skin are ultra soft.” – Stephanie Yuan, Assistant Buyer, Private Label
“I sleep with a humidifier on. It’s my go to winter skin fix since the heat in NYC apartments can be savage!” – Aileen McBride, Assistant Buyer, Women’s Accessories
“Cover your hair in full-fat mayonnaise and put a shower cap over it and sit for 45 minutes. Then hop in the shower and wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner as you normally would. It’s the best deep conditioning treatment to save your hair from winter. Just make sure it’s full-fat mayo —the light mayo cuts out the hydrating fats you want!” – Sarah Norman, Assistant Merchandise Planner, Footwear
Read More >>
Who better to go to for the perfect holiday mani than celebrity manicurist Deborah Lippmann (whose clients include A-listers like Reese Witherspoon and Sarah Jessica Parker)? Lippmann chose two of her luxe, seasonal hues and a hint of sparkle — available on Gilt — for our exclusive design. Follow the four easy steps below and you’ll be polished and ready for every occasion — including any last-minute invites.
- On clean, dry nails, apply a base coat and let dry two minutes. Then apply Flash Dance to the bottom half of your nails and let them dry for two minutes.
- Using Rolling In The Deep, paint two coats, leaving a half moon shape of Flash Dance at the base of your nail exposed. Wait two minutes between each coat.
- Brush out some I Love The Nightlife on a piece of tin foil. Using a dotting tool, pick up and place individual glitters on the edge of your nail to create a studded French tip.
- Apply top coat and wait two minutes to dry.
In need of some of-the-moment mani inspiration? Check out the super-chic looks editors Lindsey Unterberger, Nikki Ogunnaike, and Julianne Carell from Lipstick.com — Glamour’s new beauty site — created exclusively for Gilt using Essie’s Summer Collection, which can be yours free when you spend $50 or more on Gilt. They’ve also provided easy-to-follow steps, so you can recreate their looks at home. Free polishes and expert how-tos? Now you have zero excuses to not having fab nails at all times.
[From left: Nikki Ogunnaike, Julianne Carell, and Lindsey Unterberger]
Lindsey Unterberger, Executive Editor
“Summer nails usually scream bright colors—as they should!—but sometimes a pop of bold orange or blue can be too much next to a statement outfit for me. I love the sophistication this twist on a reverse French manicure brings to my hot pink dress!”
Recreate her look:
1. Apply base coat.
2. Turn your left hand to the side so your thumb is pointing toward you, and using the thinnest nail art or paint brush you can find, draw a C-shape as close to the cuticle as possible. I used Urban Jungle here. Repeat on the right hand by making backward C-shapes on each nail.
3. Apply a coat of Fierce No Fear to the rest of each nail, getting it as close as possible to the C-shapes you drew.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3.
5. Apply top coat and let dry. So cute!
Read More >>