It’s no secret that cold weather wreaks havoc on your skin…and hair and nails and pretty much everything else. One antidote to the problem: Boost your routine with an arsenal of quality products—courtesy of today’s Skincare Solutions sale, on Gilt now. But that’s not all you can do. As our team of editors and buyers can attest, for every raw nose, dry cuticle, and cracked lip, there’s a homespun fix that does the trick.
“Coconut oil – not only do I smell like a tropical retreat every night, my hair, face, hands, and skin are ultra soft.” – Stephanie Yuan, Assistant Buyer, Private Label
“I sleep with a humidifier on. It’s my go to winter skin fix since the heat in NYC apartments can be savage!” – Aileen McBride, Assistant Buyer, Women’s Accessories
“Cover your hair in full-fat mayonnaise and put a shower cap over it and sit for 45 minutes. Then hop in the shower and wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner as you normally would. It’s the best deep conditioning treatment to save your hair from winter. Just make sure it’s full-fat mayo —the light mayo cuts out the hydrating fats you want!” – Sarah Norman, Assistant Merchandise Planner, Footwear
Read More >>
Who better to go to for the perfect holiday mani than celebrity manicurist Deborah Lippmann (whose clients include A-listers like Reese Witherspoon and Sarah Jessica Parker)? Lippmann chose two of her luxe, seasonal hues and a hint of sparkle — available on Gilt — for our exclusive design. Follow the four easy steps below and you’ll be polished and ready for every occasion — including any last-minute invites.
- On clean, dry nails, apply a base coat and let dry two minutes. Then apply Flash Dance to the bottom half of your nails and let them dry for two minutes.
- Using Rolling In The Deep, paint two coats, leaving a half moon shape of Flash Dance at the base of your nail exposed. Wait two minutes between each coat.
- Brush out some I Love The Nightlife on a piece of tin foil. Using a dotting tool, pick up and place individual glitters on the edge of your nail to create a studded French tip.
- Apply top coat and wait two minutes to dry.
In need of some of-the-moment mani inspiration? Check out the super-chic looks editors Lindsey Unterberger, Nikki Ogunnaike, and Julianne Carell from Lipstick.com — Glamour’s new beauty site — created exclusively for Gilt using Essie’s Summer Collection, which can be yours free when you spend $50 or more on Gilt. They’ve also provided easy-to-follow steps, so you can recreate their looks at home. Free polishes and expert how-tos? Now you have zero excuses to not having fab nails at all times.
[From left: Nikki Ogunnaike, Julianne Carell, and Lindsey Unterberger]
Lindsey Unterberger, Executive Editor
“Summer nails usually scream bright colors—as they should!—but sometimes a pop of bold orange or blue can be too much next to a statement outfit for me. I love the sophistication this twist on a reverse French manicure brings to my hot pink dress!”
Recreate her look:
1. Apply base coat.
2. Turn your left hand to the side so your thumb is pointing toward you, and using the thinnest nail art or paint brush you can find, draw a C-shape as close to the cuticle as possible. I used Urban Jungle here. Repeat on the right hand by making backward C-shapes on each nail.
3. Apply a coat of Fierce No Fear to the rest of each nail, getting it as close as possible to the C-shapes you drew.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3.
5. Apply top coat and let dry. So cute!
Read More >>
The fashion world’s most in-demand hair stylist—Redken Creative Consultant Guido—creates insanely covetable looks for designers like Marc Jacobs, Valentino, and Prada each season, and now, he’s working his magic exclusively for Gilt. We’ve teamed up with Redken to show you how to get four of summer’s hottest no-fuss hairstyles, and the perfect wardrobe to pair with each. Get the step-by-step, then shop the sale and score a free gift with your purchase of $50 or more.
Look #1: Boyish Charm
- Apply Redken Guts 10 root targeted volume spray foam to dry hair from roots to ends and comb through until hair is completely saturated.
– Divide hair into two sections (top and bottom) in the back. Make three or four parts if hair is very thick.
– Clip the bottom section down and out of the way, and then using a finishing brush; start to brush the top section flat against the head, following the round of the head in one direction. Repeat this with each section, making sure it’s very clean and neat-looking when finished.
– Blow dry hair until completely dry. Apply Redken Control Addict 28 high hold hairspray and then place wig cap on so it completely covers the head.
– Once the wig is secure, apply Redken Forceful 23 super strength finishing spray to add texture.
Read More >>