Get a Pet! How You Can Adopt (+ Shop Our Latest Sale)

pups-D

Meet Princess and Diamond, our two latest doggie models. They’re certainly very chic. But, despite their fab names, their backstory is rather rough: They were both abandoned by their owners and brought to Animal Care & Control (AC&C) of NYC, one of the largest animal welfare organizations in the country, taking in about 30,000 animals every year. This 501(c)(3) nonprofit rescues, cares for and finds loving homes for animals throughout the five boroughs of NYC. An open-admissions organization, it never turns away any homeless, abandoned, injured, or sick animal in need of help. Princess and Diamond were placed in the foster program where they remain, waiting for a forever home. (Interested in adopting Princess or Diamond? Email [email protected])

A few of us in Gilt’s NYC offices either got our pet from one of the NYC AC&C locations, or have volunteered there — and, trust us, it’s a life-altering place. If you’d like to volunteer, donate — or adopt a dog, cat or even bunny rabbit of your own — click here to go directly to their site. (They can also connect you to various New Hope Rescue Partners and veterinary groups in NYC where you can find adoptable animals. That’s how Stephen, our Home editor, got his dog, a husky-mix named June… through a vet in Queens that boarded some dogs from the Brooklyn AC&C.)

June: Adopted, now spoiled. (Bed by Jax & Bones)

June: Adopted, now spoiled. (Bed by Jax & Bones)

Not a New Yorker? Not to worry … there’s an incredible site called Petfinder — an online, searchable database including nearly 14,000 animal shelters and adoption organizations across the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. Just type in your zip code, and adoptable pets in your area come up, as well as biographical info on each. (Warning: Once you log on to the site, it’s hard not to spend hours looking at cute pets, so make sure you have no urgent work projects to finish ASAP. We got lost in the “Small & Furry” section.)

While you’re at it, shop the two pet sales on Gilt starting Wed., May 28, at 9 p.m. — you’ll find beds, accessories, and more for your future (or current — or both) four-legged friend.

11 Responses to Get a Pet! How You Can Adopt (+ Shop Our Latest Sale)

How to transfer my blog from blogspot to paid hosting?.
    [url=http://ru.aliexpress.com/store/1241307]umall[/url]

I am thrilled to finally see a retail promotion of true designer originals – rescue dogs! What a thoughtful marketing idea for both your beautiful products as well as these "one of a kind" bundles of love who enhance them. As a long time animal rescuer, I will now always check your site first when purchasing a pet product – which I do frequently! Thank you for the promotion and hopefully other smart retailers will imitate you!

Rebecca Warwick

Get

Love this. We’ve been a Gilt fan from the start, but with three rescue dogs at home — you all just reached a whole new level of awesome. Keep up the great innovations!

We love hearing from all the folks with rescue animals — thanks for the nice comments, and keep checking in with us!

So very happy to see you are using your site to promote animal rescue adoptions! Hoping more retail sites follow your lead. The more exposure these wonderful animals get, the more chances they have at finding loving homes! THANK YOU! (this just made me want to make a purchase too!)

Wow! This is so great!!!!

As an avid online shopper as well as a "mom" to three rescue dogs and two rescue cats, I am thrilled to see that Gilt has made such a smart and conscious decision to support the welfare and adoption of animals. I always knew there was something special about this site and now I know! Thank you for taking a stand to help protect our furry friends.

I LOVE that you are doing this!!! Please continue to support and promote abandoned and homeless animals!! You are a true pioneer as I have not seen any other retail sites like Gilt doing anything remotely similar to this. Thank you so much!! I have always been a big fan and devoted customer, but with this brilliant and beautiful feature, I am an even bigger fan and will spread the word. Cheers!

As a peson actively involved in the world of animal rescue and the happy companion of rescue (or second chance) companion animals as well as being an online and frequent Gilt Shopper you made my day this morning! When I saw that you have begun promoting adoptable animals in such a great way and with links that make it easy to connect to them I was thrilled! I enjoy Gilt but will enjoy it all the more knowing I am supporting such a rescue conscious site. Don’t forget the senior dogs, they need rescue too and even more promotion because of the difficulty of placement due to age and they are the Faberge Eggs of dogdom. I am so proud of Gilt for taking such a positive action that has the potential to save so many lives and raise awareness. Hoorah for Gilt! You’ve won so much loyalty with this right action!

Brilliant – showing rescues on your website!!!!!