One of our Facebook friends posted pictures of her baby shower, and we just couldn’t resist sharing them with everyone. Kristin DeMos’s Dr. Seuss-themed shower was literally right out of a storybook. From life-size cut-outs of the famous Cat in the Hat to cupcakes iced in blue (recipe below!), this party was a blast for the whole crew.
Red Velvet Cupcakes (makes 22-24)
1 package plain German chocolate cake mix
1 package vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
3 large eggs
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1. Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees
2. Place the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, oil, food coloring and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes, scraping if needed. The batter should look thick and well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each lined cupcake cup, filling it 3/4 of the way full (about 22 to 24 cupcakes).
3. Bake the cupcakes until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on wire racks to cool.
White Chocolate Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 ounces (half an 8-ounce package) reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 to 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1. Place the white chocolate in a small glass bowl in the microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove the bowl and stir until it’s smooth. Set the chocolate aside to cool.
2. Place the cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low until well combined, 30 seconds. Stop the mixer; add the melted white chocolate and blend on low until combined, 30 seconds. Add the peppermint extract and 2 cups of the confectioners’ sugar and blend on low speed until the sugar is incorporated, 30 seconds more. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until the frosting is fluffy, 1 minute, adding up to 1/2 cup more sugar if needed to make a spreadable consistency.