We can thank the sandy beaches of New Zealand for giving us the urbane mind of designer Rebecca Taylor. From her studio in NYC, she spins out the kind of clothing we all want to wear — feminine but cool, flattering but sexy, bold but wearable. Her embellishments, use of color, and appealing silhouettes have already made her a staple in closets of fashion icons like Alexa Chung, Reese Witherspoon, Rashida Jones, Emmy Rossum, and the Duchess of Cambridge, to name a few. And that’s not to mention her rabid fan base here at Gilt.com! Before you stock your fall wardrobe with her designs — starting at noon ET on September 6 — find out five fun facts to know about the designer.
1. Her interest in fashion stemmed from an early childhood interest in sewing and fashion design, which explains the multi-faceted references that appear in every collection.
2. Taylor’s pieces have been featured in magazines around the world, including Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, Glamour, W, Nylon, Marie Claire, and In Style.
3. While Rebecca Taylor puts on a lavish show every season at the tents (now at Lincoln Center) as part of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in NYC, her debut show was part of Gen Art.
4. The line launched in 1996 with a focus on apparel, expanding to include accessories in 2008. The accessories collection includes shoes, handbags, and other small leather goods.
5. While you can find Rebecca Taylor in boutiques, department stores, and on Gilt.com, she also has seven freestanding stores in New York, California and Arizona.