Five Things To Know About… Rebecca Minkoff
Women around the world covet Rebecca Minkoff’s glamorous and subtly edgy handbags, clothing and accessories. A native of San Diego, California, Minkoff adds a beachy, laidback touch to many of her designs--from her brightly colored bags to her playful dresses with graphic prints. Among Minkoff’s admirers are models and celebrities such as Agyness Deyn, Lauren Conrad, and Keira Knightley.
Check out these five interesting tidbits about Minkoff and her brand:
1. Minkoff achieved one of her earliest fashion industry triumphs in 2001, when she designed a unique “I love New York” t-shirt that ended up on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and in Us Weekly. She spent the next few years sewing these tees in her New York apartment.
2. In 2005, Minkoff designed her first handbag, the leather Morning After Bag. Thanks to its clever design as a bag perfect for both work and play, the Morning After became an instant hit. It’s now considered the definitive must-have Minkoff handbag.
3. In 2009, Minkoff was the first designer to embellish handbags with studs, trailblazing the trend for studded accessories that year.
4. In spring 2011, Minkoff launched the Ben Minkoff collection of men’s leather totes and messenger bags. Inspired by Minkoff’s grandfather, who served as a fighter pilot during World War II, the collection incorporates military design elements.
5. Minkoff has risen in the fashion ranks to become the #1 accessories designer in the U.S.