Five Things To Know About… RED Valentino
Valentino has always been defined by one word: Glamour. For more than 50 years, Hollywood A-listers, socialites and the fashion elite have worn designer Valentino Garavani’s gorgeous gowns and romantic dresses up and down the red carpet. Call it kismet, as red has long been the signature color for the Italian fashion powerhouse and a symbol of its bold elegance.
Lucky for us, in addition to its evening gowns, dresses and fabulous handbags, the Valentino label has expanded with chic everyday clothing – including frocks, tops, skirts and jackets.
Check out these five noteworthy facts about Valentino:
1. The fashion house has a sister label called RED Valentino, which features less formal yet still glamorous pieces. The name RED pays homage to the brand’s signature color and is also an acronym for ‘Romantic Eccentric Dress.’
2. Garavani and his business and life partner, Giancarlo Giammetti, officially retired on January 23, 2008 after Valentino’s final (and absolutely stunning!) haute couture show in Paris.
3. Also in 2008, Valentino: The Last Emperor – a full-length documentary on the legendary designer’s life – premiered at the Venice International Film Festival.
4. It’s well-known that Valentino loves dogs. He even once named a clothing line after his pug, Oliver.
5. In 2011, the label launched the Valentino Garavani Virtual Museum: a downloadable desktop application that serves as an archive of more than 50 years of fashion shows and dresses by the legendary designer and his brand.