June 27, 2012 – New York, NY – Gilt Taste (www.gilttaste.com), the online culinary magazine and marketplace from Gilt Groupe, released its new iPad app today. The Gilt Taste iPad App gives users the ability to shop the site's marketplace and daily deals on gourmet food and wine, read its award-winning editorial content, and cook delicious recipes using an innovative "Touch-Free Recipe Mode" technology which allows users to cook Gilt Taste recipes without ever having to touch the iPad screen. By utilizing the iPad camera to detect movement, a wave of the hand simply "flips" the recipe to the next step, so the screen remains clean from start to finish. The Gilt Taste app and its touch-free function were conceived of, developed and built entirely by Gilt.
The Gilt Taste App features three main functions:
• SHOP: Shop Gilt Taste's marketplace and daily deals on gourmet food and wine from artisanal producers around the world. New sales are launched every day at 12pm ET.
• STORIES: Read Gilt Taste's award-winning stories, with inspiring topics ranging from culinary techniques and chef interviews, to personal memoirs, food policy and environmental issues, humor pieces, innovative videos and more.
• RECIPES: Cook Gilt Taste's delicious collection of recipes, which can be viewed in two ways: 1) the traditional view where users can scroll up and down to read each step, and 2) the "Touch-Free Recipe Mode" view, where users can cook the recipe step-by-step without touching the screen. Waving a hand across the iPad camera will "flip" the page to the next step for a fingerprint- and smudge-free screen from beginning to end.
"Our Touch-Free Recipe Mode absolutely revolutionizes the way you use your iPad in a kitchen," says Ruth Reichl, Editorial Advisor of Gilt Taste. "I'm so proud to be working with the talented team of engineers, designers and editors who created this new cooking tool. It's what Gilt Taste is all about – making cooking easier, more accessible and more fun."
Additional features of the Gilt Taste iPad App include:
• In Touch-Free Recipe Mode, the screen will remain active and awake when cooking, based on recipe length.
• Each recipe step is one page: While in Touch-Free Recipe Mode view, each step is conveniently designed to fit within one single screen – no need to scroll up or down with dirty hands.
• A "Share" function: Tap to share any story, product or recipe via email, Facebook, Twitter, or iMessage.
• Email-able shopping lists: Email a shopping list of ingredients from each recipe to yourself or others.
• A beautiful and seamless integration of content and commerce: Users can read stories and recipes, discover incredible ingredients and great wines, then have the products shipped to their front door with a few taps.
The Gilt Taste App is compatible with iPad 2 and the new iPad, and is available for free from the App Store on iPad or at http://www.gilttaste.com/ipad.
About Gilt Taste
Gilt Taste, www.gilttaste.com, launched in May 2011 and offers a marketplace of curated artisanal products and wines, daily special sales, thoughtful original editorial content, gorgeous photography, delicious recipes and more. All of Gilt Taste's products are inspired, inspiring, honest and coveted. Ruth Reichl, former editor in chief of Gourmet and restaurant critic of The New York Times, serves as Gilt Taste's Editorial Advisor. It is a true content-meets-commerce site: users can connect with the farmers, artisans and winemakers who make and grow the products (many of which have only been available to professional chefs, until now), read intriguing stories and original content, learn where their food comes and how to prepare it for the best results, and then have the products shipped directly to their front doorstep with a single click. No membership is required to shop the site.
About Gilt Groupe, Inc.
Gilt Groupe, www.gilt.com, is an innovative online shopping destination offering its members special access to the most inspiring merchandise, culinary offerings, and experiences every day, many at insider prices. Gilt continually searches the world for the most coveted brands and products, including fashion for women, men, and children; home décor; artisanal food and wine; hotels and travel experiences on every continent; and unique activities in a growing list of cities and destinations. We believe that every day is an opportunity to inspire and be inspired.
Cherie Gallarello, Gilt Groupe, 646.524.9224, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jessica Cheng, Gilt Groupe, 646.524.9557, email@example.com