Browbeaten

I recently paid a visit to an old-school barber shop, and before I knew what hit me the guy had—snip! snip!—given my eyebrows a trim. I never thought of myself as particularly Andy Rooney-like, but the incident has me wondering whether I should be trimming the brows regularly. And for the record, I’m talking about the length of my ‘brows, now how wide they are—I don’t have a monobrow.

David J, Chicago

Sounds like you’ve inadvertently stumbled into the perilous terrain of manscaping. Here, there are only two rules: 1) use of the term manscaping is allowed only when implied air quotes are involved, and 2) the only thing worse than doing too much is doing too little. Over-trim those bushes and you’re liable to look a little George Michael Faith. Let ‘em flourish and you might just get mistaken for that grouchy old guy on 60 Minutes. No, not that one, the one at the end. It’s a fact of life that with age comes wisdom, taste, and hair where you don’t want it, so you’d best get used to having it taken care of. Or you could just go back to that barber and let him take care of it. Oh, and let’s avoid discussions of length and width in these pages.

1. Andrew says:

I don’t care what anyone says; if you take the tweezer or the electric clippers to your brows, no one says, ‘nice eyebrows.’ they say, ‘that dude plucks his eyebrows.’ keep it real, let ‘em grow. there must be a good evolutionary explanation for them.

2. Carlin says:

I pluck my unibrow.

3. Lee says:

I do trim my eyebrows…otherwise I get long, out of control loners that stick out all over the place. You’ve seem them before, both on guys’ faces…and at parties. As for the evolutionary reasons, my well-trimmed brows do their job of keeping sweat out of my eyes just fine, thank you. In fact, the only problem I have in that area comes from the fact that I clear out the unibrow hairs and sweat sneaks down that-a-way.

4. Ryan says:

If they are done right, nobody says anything. It’s undetectable. Understated.

5. David says:

I actually pluck my uni-brow, I’ve been doing it since I was in 9th grade. It started because I’d rather be harassed for plucking my uni-brow then be harassed for having a uni-brow. It’s been 8 years now and no woman has ever said a bad thing about my eyebrows

6. John says:

I use a small trimmer and a comb and clip yhe really long hairs. Clipping bushy brows makes a man look younger and better kept.

JLK

7. Zachary says:

first, let’s get the semantics down: you pluck a chicken but you tweeze an eyebrow.

there are ways to trim, tweeze and even wax eyebrows so that the shape is more uniform and clean without looking too manicured. of course, it all depends on aesthetics, so i say do what you must to look and feel better.

8. John says:

I trim back my bushy brows with a comb and small hand held clippers. It takes a good 5-10 years off my face and doesn’t look studied, just clean and well groomed!

9. Steve says:

the only way to go is threading…