Wearing a Designer's Clothes to that Designer's Fashion Show: Ever Okay?

The latest in an ongoing series in which we debate current style topics with an intensity that is—we'll be the first to admit—a little out of proportion to the actual significance of the issue at hand.
Photo: Getty Images

Front row, Proenza, Spring '06.

On Feb 10, 2011, at 11:14 AM, Jared Flint wrote:
This morning at the Steven Alan presentation a MANual mutual friend, Mr. Steven Rojas, was sporting the designer’s just released Nike sneakers. Josh Peskowitz and I both called him out on it, especially since they looked like they just came out of the box. Then I looked at my schedule for today; then my feet. Then my schedule; then my feet again. Damn it. Guess who’s wearing Duckie Brown by Florsheim to the Duckie Brown show today? Begs the question, is it okay to sport the designer’s goods to their show?

On Feb 10, 2011, at 11:22 AM, Christopher Wallace wrote:
I actually kinda love the idea as a show of support—granting it isn’t a full-on styled look from a past runway show. If it doesn’t bend over into fanboy territory it’s a friendly way of saying I Endorse This. But, that being said, I don’t often run into that problem with my pre-Cretaceous thrift store attire. I mean, if I had a Simon Spurr windowpane check suit in 40L just mysteriously mailed to me in the next day or so, say, I’d wear it to the show on Sunday.

On Feb 10, 2011, at 11:46 AM, Tyler Thoreson wrote:
Totally depends on how out there the designer can get. Doug “The Style Counsel” Hand looked great in a Steven Alan/Dockers suit this morning. And MANual mainstay Euan Rellie has always looked great in Thom Browne at Thom Browne. Though it helps that he’s not an exposed-ankle guy. The only guy at a Thom show in a three-legged suit made from swan feathers should be a model on the runway.

On Feb 10, 2011, at 5:58 PM, Josh Peskowitz wrote:
I’m usually against it, to be honest; but if the clothes are good and you are a fan, then why the hell not? Head-to-toe is kind of victim-y though, right?

On Feb 11, 2011, at 6:06 PM, Andy Comer wrote:
I’ve found myself wearing a Band of Outsiders shirt and/or tie to that fine label’s presentation season after season; mostly because I own a lot of that stuff and it’s a part of my everyday rotation, anyway, but also as a sign of respect (not that anyone outside of myself really notices or cares) to designer Scott Sternberg, of whom I’m a fan. And so I agree with Josh: Why the hell not? And yet, is this phenomenon something like wearing a band’s T-shirt to that band’s concert? Because that’s not something I’d ever do. (Okay, now I’m plagiarizing myself.)

On Feb 13, 2011, at 4:04 PM, Tyler Thoreson wrote:
I think it comes down to when you bought the piece of clothing. Wearing 2005-era Band to a Band show is, of course, totally gangsta. Rocking head-to-toe red tartan to Rag & Bone Spring ’12? Slightly less so.

On Feb 15, 2011, at 12:42 PM, Christopher Wallace wrote:
Proving my point for me, Saks’ stylish Eric Jennings got ALL decked out in Simon Spurr to go to his show on Sunday. When a designer is as spot-on and wearable as Simon and you got that kinda gear hanging in your closet, frankly, you’re a little indebted to the man—show him the love. QED

For more disproportionately heated fashion debate, check out these previous ‘Reply-All’ topics:
Who was the most stylish Beatle? >>
Has this urban lumberjack thing gone too far? >>
Is it cool or pretentious to unbutton your suit cuffs? >>

1. Zachary says:

you guys should use bnter.com for these conversations…and no i don’t work for them

2. Tyler Thoreson says:

Interesting idea. Maybe we will.