Drinking

Friday Tastings: Knob Creek Rye Whiskey

Because drinking whiskey is fun, but drinking it with friends is even better, we gathered together some of the folks from around the office, took a few sips of the good stuff, and then got our “Reply All” email game going.

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:08 PM, Jonathan Evans wrote:
Ok, now that everyone has had a sip (or more — lookin’ at you, Matt) of that tasty Knob Creek Rye, let’s get this thing going. The mellow vanilla notes are doing a lot for me right now, even though I’ll admit I was expecting something seriously intense based on the big, bold nose on the stuff.

Thoughts from everyone? How’d you like it?

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:11 PM, Kevin Vanasse wrote:
Feels good in my liver.

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:12 PM, Andrew Powell wrote:
Smells like Grandma.

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:12 PM, Tyler Thoreson wrote:
Dashing off to a meeting, but I’ll say this: It doesn’t strike me as all that mellow. More like spicy and intense. But maybe that’s a function of the fact that the hardest thing I normally drink before 10pm is an ice-cold Coors Banquet Beer.

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:13 PM, Matt Orosco wrote:
Since I failed to nurse mine, I’m left with a subtle butterscotch aftertaste… and a slight head rush.

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:17 PM, Jonathan Evans wrote:
Andrew: sounds like Grandma has good taste in whiskey.

To Tyler’s point: I should put things in perspective. The vanilla and fruit that I’m tasting were just more mellow than I expected based on how intense this stuff smells. It still packs a wallop. Lots of spice, and that warming finish lets you know it’s working. Probably not for beginners.

Speaking of beginners: Julia, how you doing over there?

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:19 PM, Julia Liu wrote:
It burns. Cheeks are slightly flushed. Asian glow, here we go.

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:20 PM, Jonathan Evans wrote:
Matt and Julia out of the gate with an early lead. Still working my way towards a flush over here, but then, I just topped up. We’ll see where that leads.

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:22 PM, Julia Liu wrote:
It’s the best brown vodka I’ve ever had!

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:23 PM, Kevin Vanasse wrote:
It makes me feel alive!

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:24 PM, Julia Liu wrote:
I’ll have seconds… Coming over now.

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:27 PM, Andrew Powell wrote:
Whoa, tastes way different when you snort it.

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:28 PM, Julia Liu wrote:
Oh hey!  That’s my boss right there.

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:28 PM, Jonathan Evans wrote:
Ha! Not a recommended method of ingestion, but a bold move nonetheless.

A little bit in, I’m getting more oak and a lot more vanilla—also cherries. I’m not complaining about any of this.

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:34 PM, Andrew Powell wrote:
I just drizzled some over ice cream from the kitchen.

On Oct 11, 2012, at 5:35 PM, Jonathan Evans wrote:
Moving on to dessert, eh? Smart call, because we’re out of time, folks.

Good rye, and good times. Thanks to everyone for taking part.