“This series is aimed at recreating styles of Madeira that were popular in the 18th and 19th centuries, when Madeira was America’s favorite wine. [Charleston Sercial and Boston Bual] were sensational with steak.”
“Simply great Madeiras.” - Wine Enthusiast
Why to buy: Madeira is surging in popularity, in part because the great ones pair as well with steak as they do with chocolates. As Eric Asimov affirms in the Times, “what strikes me particularly about Madeira is how wonderful it can be with savory foods.” Made in the style of expensive vintage Madeira, this quartet is an affordable, delicious introduction to a great wine.
Characteristics: Unlike young Madeiras that have been aged and heated for three months, these wines have spent years or decades in large wooden barrels, subject to temperature swings that define the classic Madeira personality. Each wine is 85% the stated varietal, with the remaining 15% comprising 40-year-old Tinta Negro Mole, lending character. The “Charleston” Sercial shows strong acidity and nutty flavors, and is superb with a soup or cheese course. “Boston” Bual reveals classic notes of citrus peel and cinnamon—a lovely dessert pairing wine that is just as good with a fat steak. “New York” Malmsey is defined by toffee and caramel notes that make it wonderful with rich chocolate desserts, and “Savannah” Verdelho is sweet and acidic—fantastic with savory dishes.
Brand: Rare Wine Co